Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Full Bloom - Obey

 IMG_9075 1


I've been writing about things that are necessary for living a life that is in full bloom. We want to live in full bloom so that we can flourish, thrive and prosper.

If you haven't read the previous posts you can catch up...
Intro
Believe
Love

 O is for Obey

Yesterday we talked about the importance of love and that we show we love God by obeying His commands.

1 John 5:3-4
This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world.
 
So... if we are believing and loving God, then obeying Him shouldn't really be all that hard.

We need to get to a place where we obey God not because of rules and legalism but because we love Him. We love Him so much that it would never occur to us to disobey.

God says… I do. Make it a way of life. Let nothing hold you back. Not fear, insecurity, your past or inabilities. Because when you obey you will find your life and heart enlarged. You will find that you can do much more than you ever thought possible. You will learn so much about God.

John 14:15
If you love me, you will obey what I command.

God LOVES us. We need to trust that love. And we need to obey whether we understand the why behind it or not. We need to obey even when it is hard. I know that sometimes it has seemed that God asked me to let go of things that I loved. Sometimes it was for a season and some things I've had to let go of forever. It's always hard. I don't always understand why and sometimes I really don't want to. But I know that if I just trust God with what He is asking of me that I will open up my life in ways I never knew possible. God always has our best interest in mind. He cares about us. We need to just trust Him and obey.

What's fun about obeying God is that you eventually come to a place where you can look back on a string of "yeses" and see how they all lead to where you are at now. Just like I can look back and see how years of leading Bible studies has made my heart grow and open up to women. It also grew in me a passion to help others learn truth. At some point along he way I felt that I was to start a blog for women. I loved doing that! And I learned a lot of things that are helping me in other areas that I am stepping into. The Girl Talk Blog taught me some very valuable lessons in leading and ministry.

I then was asked to lead a women's ministry at my church. I'm just finishing up with my first year of that and it's been a growing experience. Easy yet extremely new and hard at the same time. But the things I've been doing in the past have equipped me for now. And another part of my now is Butler Praise and Coffee. Each step has been training for the next. Without all of the yeses in the past I may not be doing much of what I am doing today. Either that or I would be completely unprepared.

I could have chose to stay a closed up bud, but in saying yes I have begun to open up and bloom.

Saying yes may not always be easy. It may sometimes require sacrifice. But God is always looking out for our best interest and we need to trust and obey.

What is God asking of you today? Will you say yes? 


 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for A Hearty Overflow